COVID – 19 NOVEMBER UPDATE
· Follow government advice, rules & regulations as posted & updated on www.gov.uk. Relevant points are:
· Maintain social distancing (individuals to keep a minimum of two metres apart)
· Maintain a high-level of hygiene through handwashing
· Only meet one person from a different household outdoors – following social distancing guidelines.
· Do not gather in a group of more than two.
· Wear a face covering over your nose & mouth in enclosed spaces if others are present.
Welcome to the Landguard Bird Observatory (LBO) web site.
LBO is an independent organisation run and administered by a registered charity, "Landguard Conservation Trust". It relies on its members, friends and volunteers to survive and function. Membership
is open to anyone interested in the aims and objectives of the observatory. The bird observatory is housed in disused military buildings alongside the Local Nature Reserve at the southern end of the
town of Felixstowe in Suffolk.
The observatory's primary function is to study and record the wildlife of the entire Landguard peninsula. A daily census of the birds present is carried out with many birds trapped for ringing studies. All wildlife is recorded, with moth traps run daily from March to early December. Annual reports are compiled and all the data collected are made available to a variety of local and national organisations.
A Recent Sightings blog is updated daily from March to November and on most days throughout the winter. We are open all year, provided there is a member on site to give access & supervise your visit - please e.mail email@example.com in advance of any propsed visit & be prepared to arrive on site fairly early in the morning (how early depends on the time of year). Mornings are the best time to visit the nature reserve for birds with afternoons often better for insects.
The site is owned by the Department of Culture, Media and Sport but managed by English Heritage on their behalf.
The observatory is a member of the Bird Observatories Council & the Landguard Partnership. Links to both organisations below.
© 2017 Landguard Conservation Trust, incorporating Landguard Bird Observatory
Landguard Bird Observatory
If you have any queries or wish to make an appointment, please contact us:
+44 (0)1394 673782
Or use our contact form.